NWM

Well as i said here , Get a service company to come and be Real about fixing it
and Clean the burners and fire it back up. Now if you want a new furnce get you
one but if you don't mine have a old one that works good. Get a respectiable
service company to come really Clean it.

TURTLE

The thing is, I had to spend 140 bucks just for this guy to show up
and look around. He said it would take 4-5 hours to take out the
burner and replace it at 97 bucks an hour labor.ANother company I had
considered using said they would also charge just to show up and one
hour labor minimum.

Problem is, I don't have the knowledge to know if it is just rust or
not. I am at their mercy and I can't keep calling numerous companies
because all charge a service charge just to show up I assume.

BTW, this is a 100k btu unit. Don't know if the others who quoted
prices have 100k units, or if that would be the reason for the high
price even on a 80 percent unit.

So no one here in the US used the Home Depot referral?

So just so I don't sound like I am completely clueless( which I am) to
the next service guy, I should say the following?

1)Hey, I noticed the flame is not burning as much as it used to, and I
am worried about an explosion There is tons of rust and this thing has
probably not been cleaned out in 20 years. So can you clean this and
how long and how much?

Or on the phone when making the appointment, tell them:

2)My burner on my gas furnace is rusted and I need it cleaned out. I
wonder if you can clean out all the gunk so that the flames underneath
burn as brightly as they used to.
Anyway, won't any service guy just try to sell me a new
furnace?Especially for one that looks all rusted and from a company
that no longer makes them?

Are there generic burners that can be replaced in an old defunct
model?

Any suggestions? I am assuing I SHOULD not ask for a someone to come
and give me an estimate or they will just try to sell me a new furnace
as with this guy.

Last week, I cancelled a service call and estimate from another
company. I assume I should not recall them since they know I was
asking for an estimate for a new furnace.

Thanks for all the info.