MC

The problem with wireless!
Those cordless phones, Microwaves, other high EMI electronic devices around,
All of which can interfere and slow down the wireless access.
Besides, Really know exactly how to setup it all up and make sure that it is
secure from other easdroppers, hackers and wardrivers trying to break into
any unprotected wireless devices, use your internet access and/or snoop at
the data you are sending back and forth ?

I use both wired and wireless at the house. Office and all other computer
locations, even the enterntainment center has a network feed (for those MP3
files access). All wired back to a central patch panel along with phone and
CATV. The data goes to a switch/hub. I also have an extensive home office
and server for central files storage and backup. I use wireless when I want
to take my laptop outside on the patio.
I also makse sure all the security including encryption is setup on the
wireless access correclty.

I work in computer security, be suprised how many times I can access office
and home wireless internet access devices when I power up my laptop in an
office complex or neiborhood area.

"Peter H" wrote in message
Greg wrote:

Buy the best wire you can find. Wire is cheap, labor is the hard part.
CAT5e was the latest thing the last time I bought wire but they may have

CAT6
certified by now.
Be careful making up the keystone jacks. Maintain the twist all the way

to the
punch downs and keep the leads straight and short. Neatness counts. You

can
make CAT5e wire degrade to doorbell wire quality with sloppy

terminations.

BTW I agree about wireless. It is fine for mobile work stations but if

you
really want to move data it is hard to beat copper.

Thanks for this Greg. I have a wireless nic and a plug-in. The wireless
just cannot keep up... the problem is exacerbated by the office which
apparently uses wireless for part of their internet service because the
building they are in is not wired for cable yet. It's drag and then
more drag. I can type 1/2 an email message before anything shows up on
the screen.

I appreciate the suggestions about keeping the wires twisted. I've
bought cat 5e wire so I guess if I keep the install neat I'll be ok.

Peter H