John Barry

(Tom K) wrote in message . com...
I disagree....

I went through the same decision process of what
type of furnace to purchase for my home in Long Island, NY

I had been using a 50+ year old furnance that came with
the house. I have only been the owner of this home for
about 2 years before I had to get rid of the beast.
Really an ineffecient unit and oil was going up in $$$.

Anyway, I went with a 80% 2 stage unit. The 90+
units get vented through PVC out the side of the
house and really need to be kept on top of to
get that high rate. There are so many things
that can go wrong with the furnace as well. I never
like overly complicated equipment. Cost savings?
Sure some in fuel, but over the long haul in repair
costs????

I am using a two stage Rheem unit that keeps the house
comfortable and warm.

Tom

Please note that a two stage furnace NEEDS a good
two stage thermostat. If you do not use it, when the
temp kicks on, it starts into low then after a default time
it will cycle to high. This cycling can be bad for the unit.
(short cycle ????)

With the right thermostat, if there is a 3 degree temp difference
it will ONLY stay on low to heat and maintain. If its more
then 3 degree its automatically goes to high. When it
reaches the 3 degree mark it goes to low and heats the
house gently to the desired temp.

Interesting surmises, Tom, but first the OP was talking _gas_ not
_oil_ which is one good way to minimize troubles. There have been
reported problems with 90%+ gas units, relating to salts in the
incoming air, and heat exchanger metallurgy. A reputable installer
should be able to give you good odds on steering clear of problems, as
regards unit, installation, and operation. Reducing fear-factor.

No fossil energy source is going to be dropping much, if any, in
price. Expect the opposite. Never mind that waste is stupid. You
may not see much benefit from 90%+ over 80% units now, but you sure
will increasingly each year. Future home-buyer might well be swayed,
too.

Wood/pellet units get more beautiful by the day, too.

John