Joe Fabeitz

I know. It just feels good to yell WRONG once in a while....no...once a
day, ya, that's it...sometimes..twice a day.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Joe Fabeitz wrote:
WRONG! You can determine if the flapper (flush valve) is leaking by
putting
some food coloring in the tank, then see if it shows up in the bowl. If
it
does, replace the flapper. Don't screw around trying to mend it when a
$4.00 part can fix it for years.

I don't think it was "wrong" Frankly I doubt if there is much use to
using food dye to find out if it is leaking, after all the OP provided

clear
evidence that it is likely just that. I would tend to agree that it may
well be better to buy a new flapper, making sure to get the right one for
that toilet. As you noted they are not expensive and it is not worth my
time. However the OP may find that he still needs to fiddle with it to

get
a good seal and he should carefully clean the seat.

"indago" wrote in message
041116 0831 - sandy posted:

I'm planning on taking the momentus step of attempting to repair our
toilet. I'm hoping that you can give me a few hints.

The problem: The toilet starts running for a few moments every so
often. I've looked in the tank and it appears that the "flapper" is
not seating properly and instead is a little askew. If I push it over
a little, it fixes it for a day or two. Do I need to replace the
flapper or is there some quickie, easy fix-it solution?

Also appreciate some suggestions on web sites that might lead me
through repairs.

Thanks!

Sandy

Turn off the valve to the toilet and then flush the toilet, holding the
flush handle on until most of the water is drained out of the tank.

Then
fiddle with the closing valve flapper and see how it settles onto the
hole.
You can probably make an adjustment to it to make it work better. It
could
probably use a little cleaning also, with a paper towel or whatever,

and
the hole it seats onto also.

--
Joseph E. Meehan