sandy

Default toilet repair (for complete novice)

I'm planning on taking the momentus step of attempting to repair our
toilet. I'm hoping that you can give me a few hints.

The problem: The toilet starts running for a few moments every so
often. I've looked in the tank and it appears that the "flapper" is
not seating properly and instead is a little askew. If I push it over
a little, it fixes it for a day or two. Do I need to replace the
flapper or is there some quickie, easy fix-it solution?

Also appreciate some suggestions on web sites that might lead me
through repairs.

Thanks!

Sandy
indago

041116 0831 - sandy posted:

I'm planning on taking the momentus step of attempting to repair our
toilet. I'm hoping that you can give me a few hints.

The problem: The toilet starts running for a few moments every so
often. I've looked in the tank and it appears that the "flapper" is
not seating properly and instead is a little askew. If I push it over
a little, it fixes it for a day or two. Do I need to replace the
flapper or is there some quickie, easy fix-it solution?

Also appreciate some suggestions on web sites that might lead me
through repairs.

Thanks!

Sandy

Turn off the valve to the toilet and then flush the toilet, holding the
flush handle on until most of the water is drained out of the tank. Then
fiddle with the closing valve flapper and see how it settles onto the hole.
You can probably make an adjustment to it to make it work better. It could
probably use a little cleaning also, with a paper towel or whatever, and the
hole it seats onto also.

Joe Fabeitz

WRONG! You can determine if the flapper (flush valve) is leaking by putting
some food coloring in the tank, then see if it shows up in the bowl. If it
does, replace the flapper. Don't screw around trying to mend it when a
$4.00 part can fix it for years.
"indago" wrote in message
041116 0831 - sandy posted:

[...]

bumtracks

As seen on Yahoo;
1] A year, a leaky toilet can waste over 22,000 gallons of water.
2] Did you know that as much as 80,000 gallons of water can be wasted each
year by an undetected toilet tank leak?
3] To celebrate Toilet Repair Month in Ocober, Fluidmaster ran a contest for
the Funniest Toilet Repair Story
4] http://www.fluidmaster.com/pr/trm_winner.html

Joseph Meehan

Joe Fabeitz wrote:
WRONG! You can determine if the flapper (flush valve) is leaking by
putting
some food coloring in the tank, then see if it shows up in the bowl. If
it
does, replace the flapper. Don't screw around trying to mend it when a
$4.00 part can fix it for years.

I don't think it was "wrong" Frankly I doubt if there is much use to
using food dye to find out if it is leaking, after all the OP provided clear
evidence that it is likely just that. I would tend to agree that it may
well be better to buy a new flapper, making sure to get the right one for
that toilet. As you noted they are not expensive and it is not worth my
time. However the OP may find that he still needs to fiddle with it to get
a good seal and he should carefully clean the seat.

041116 0831 - sandy posted:

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Fabeitz

I know. It just feels good to yell WRONG once in a while....no...once a
day, ya, that's it...sometimes..twice a day.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Joe Fabeitz wrote:
WRONG! You can determine if the flapper (flush valve) is leaking by
putting
some food coloring in the tank, then see if it shows up in the bowl. If
it
does, replace the flapper. Don't screw around trying to mend it when a
$4.00 part can fix it for years.

I don't think it was "wrong" Frankly I doubt if there is much use to
using food dye to find out if it is leaking, after all the OP provided

clear
evidence that it is likely just that. I would tend to agree that it may
well be better to buy a new flapper, making sure to get the right one for
that toilet. As you noted they are not expensive and it is not worth my
time. However the OP may find that he still needs to fiddle with it to

get
a good seal and he should carefully clean the seat.

"indago" wrote in message
041116 0831 - sandy posted:

[...]

slushfund

If you've never done a thing to the toilet over the years, I'd go to
Home Depot
and get one of their Fluidmaster kits that contain everything you need to
rebuild the whole
innards. Kit contains new flush valve, flapper valve, gaskets, tank bolts
and handle. While
you're in there might as well do the whole show for about $17.00. Assuming
you're tank
bolts aren't rusted to death, the whole deal might take an hour.