MLD

"Doe John" wrote in message
This is a bigger decision than I thought. I am considering just having
the furnace serviced for now. The guy who is mailing me the estimates
said that if I serviced the furnace using his company, he would deduct
the cost of the repair from the estimate of replacing the gas furnace
if I chose to later replace the furnace.

Labor is almost 100 bucks an hour and 30 bucks just to show up at the
door. As I said before, furnace works and burns gas, but the auto
blower setting doesn't work(knob pulled out), only manual( knob pushed
in). Does this sound like more than a 2 hour job?

Thx

You are just putting off the inevitable and based on your comments, got your
head in the sand.-- "the furnace works and burns gas" not too bright a
comment--what if I said that "my car works and burns gas"---- but, in fact,
I'm getting 5 mpg when I used to get 25 mph. You want a new furnace but
don't want to pay for one. I budget my gas bill and the monthly amount is
set by the gas company based on prior usage. The year of the old furnace it
was increased--for this year they decreased the payment despite the rising
cost of gas. Best recollection, my own calculation of gas usage, based on
Therms used, showed a (conservative) decrease of about 15-20% between the
winters with and without the new furnace.
MLD