HaHaHa

From: "Redlocks"

The other day I reported:

My gas furnace won't fire. The pilot is lit. When I turn up the
thermostat, I hear a single click that is usually followed a few seconds
later by combustion, however today it won't fire.

I should add it is an American Standard gas boiler (hot water/radiator)
that is probably 35 - 40 years old.

The first pro to arrive at my house said it was the gas valve, but didn't
have the part and decided it wasn't worth his time (no charge). The second
pro was with a subsidiary of the local utlity company. He got the furnace to
ignite and the heat is on ($79 no parts needed), however he said the
circulator pump was rusted in place and recommended getting a plumber.

Now in the 16 years that I've been in the house I don't ever recall
hearing a circulator pump in operation. This might sound like a stupid
question but do I really need to get this fixed?

The heat feels good!

Thanks.

John

Not hearing the pump is actually a good thing. Look at it yourself, it's
somewhere near the boiler with a pipe going in and another going out.

Aside from the boiler providing the heat, the pump is crucial on getting that
heat to where it's needed - from the boiler to the radiators and back.