Redlocks

Default gas furnace won't fire, part 2

The other day I reported:

My gas furnace won't fire. The pilot is lit. When I turn up the
thermostat, I hear a single click that is usually followed a few seconds
later by combustion, however today it won't fire.

I should add it is an American Standard gas boiler (hot water/radiator)
that is probably 35 - 40 years old.

The first pro to arrive at my house said it was the gas valve, but didn't
have the part and decided it wasn't worth his time (no charge). The second
pro was with a subsidiary of the local utlity company. He got the furnace to
ignite and the heat is on ($79 no parts needed), however he said the
circulator pump was rusted in place and recommended getting a plumber.

Now in the 16 years that I've been in the house I don't ever recall
hearing a circulator pump in operation. This might sound like a stupid
question but do I really need to get this fixed?

The heat feels good!

Thanks.

John

Art

If you do get it replaced, you might also have the expansion tank replaced
if you still have the original and have to bleed it every year. The new
ones are small and do not have to be bled.

"Redlocks" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Gary R. Lloyd

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:45:00 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

If you do get it replaced, you might also have the expansion tank replaced
if you still have the original and have to bleed it every year. The new
ones are small and do not have to be bled.

If your tank has to be bled every year, the problem is not the tank.
Neither type of tank should need annual bleeding.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
http://www.techmethod.com

m Ransley

In 30 yrs we never bled our tank and still dont, tanks do not have to be
bled and should not be. They need air not water for Expansion.

m Ransley

If you loose the air bubble and have to drain something is wrong with
your system and it will not have expansion capabilities and can
overpressure. Water in it when cold - tank is to small, or it does not
drain properly- blockage, or bad autrotrol valve, or bad auto feed, over
filling system. Pressure - altitude gauge may be bad if you rely on
that for monitoring and manualy feed. Often pressure relief will
release on even a partialy full tank from overpressure on a fully hot
boiler, your relief valve could be bad also. Maintain overpressure and
boilers do not last. Start with a new presure gauge and set boiler to
right level.

Art

Perhaps not every year but if you have an old tank that doesn't have a
bladder between the air and water, eventually you lose the air bubble and
you have to bleed it.