MLD

"Doe John" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:27:23 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

2 stage usualy heat more evenly, yes there are more things to break,
but it will not save on utilitys. If you spend alot on heating get a
93%+ efficiency unit not 80%, which you may have now. Closing down all
dampers can be bad for your furnace, overheating it, there is a limit to
what your system can take, ask your instaler.

I was thinking of getting anything middle of the road, not top of the
line and not the most basic. ANything 90percent and higher would
require more labor not to mention the larger jump up in price, for a
vent and duct that takes air from outside.

Still worth it. Check your Utility Company--There are all kinds of rebates
and incentives that pay off very well (up to $400) especially if you get the
92% with variable speed blower. Also, where do you think the air (large
volume) for combustion comes from with the 80% furnace? It's air from within
your house--all having been previously heated ($$$) and then thrown up
chimney--it, air, then it has to be replaced with (cold) outside air which
is what gives you the drafts and air leaks and also because it has to be
heated, increases your costs. I think that your house stays more evenly
heated by using the outside air for combustion.
MLD