Doe John

Default Foreced air gas furnace. 2 stage.

Hi:

I will be getting a forced air gas furnace this week. Waiting on the
estimates on the different models and AFUE ratings and labor charge
estimates basedon duct work, etc. I was thinking of getting the
Carrier Performance model with 80 percent efficiency, which is a 2
stage blower. I had read in archived messages that the 2 stage variety
will have more problems because of more parts. Sounds like the 2 stage
will be better for my gas bills and better at heating the house.

My current furnace works, but the auto blower won't work, just manual.
It's an old furnace, perhaps 30 years old. And on manual, not a lot of
heat is coming out, although the gas is burning .

Also, should I leave all the vents open? I normally keep only the
vents open in rooms I use. Which is better on the as bills? Read
somewhere else that not keeping all vents open will use more gas,
ironically.

Thanks