HeatMan

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"Gord" wrote in message
What is the average pricing for installation of hardwood floors (labour
cost
only) in Ottawa, Canada?

Thanks.

No idea about pricing in Canada, but here in Atlanta, a good price for
installing and finishing a solid oak floor is ~$6.25/sf. Unless you find

real deal, you won't same much money going the DIY route on prefinished
solid flooring (I think finishing unfinished floors is more than most
amateurs want to tackle). Most of the local big box operations sell solid
prefinished wood for $5-$6/sf, then you have to figure in waste, tool
rental, and time. If you want someone else to install it, the cost will be
~$1 to $1.50/sf, depending on installation method. If you're talking
engineered floors or laminates, you can buy that material for $2-$4/sf,

and
could get someone to install it for $1 - $1.50.

I installed some prefinished hardwood several years ago. I used a trim
nailer and a hand miter box. It was not real easy cutting the hardwood with
the hand saw, but I did get it done and it looked okay.

The problem we had was there was chamfered grooves along each side of the
pre finished strips. These strips sometimes would catch dirt and mud and
you'd have to almost get on your hands and knees to scrub the dirt out.

We ended ripping it up and replacing it with professionally installed
hardwood with 3 coats of poly.