Scott

Yes, the outer flange was metal. It looked like it was to sit at the very
lip of the flange. The rest of it is plastic. It didn't really sit flush
though. It is above the level of the floor. The plumbing is about 15 years
old. There is some bad wood there, but there was enough (at last glance,
that everything was still secure and firm.

I'm still confused on whether the toilet (and flange) will sit on top of the
ceramic tile or floating wood floor, or whether it will all mount directly
to the substrate and the tiling (or floating floor) will then bump up
against the toilet.

Thanks
Scott

You will need to repair any failed wood substrate, add a new flange and do
your floor-covering.
Most modern toilets mount to the flange. You say your flange was rotten so
that makes me think you had a metal one. Is the pipe blow the flange lead
or
plastic pipe? Or how old is the plumbing? A little more detail from you
and
one or more people will post help.

I will add that if your wooden floor is not rotten there is a repair
flange
available at full service plumbing stores that works fairly well.

Colbyt