Dave Plowman

Default I LOVE Speedfit!

In article ,
Andrew McKay wrote:
I can't solder to save my life, despite years of trying.

I found the key issue was preparing the solder joint, which means
liberal use of wire wool on the pipe to be soldered, followed by a
smidgen of flux before bringing the joint together.

While proper cleaning is a good idea, the use of an aggressive flux is
belt and braces. I've tried experimenting soldering green copper using
this stuff, and it made a perfect joint.

Any residual dirt on the pipe invariably leads to a poor joint.

I prefer the pre-soldered elbows though.

I don't think they're worth the considerable additional cost. Moreover,
with separate solder you're in no doubt when it melts, especially when say
you can't see the back of the fitting. Oh, and end feed are neater looking.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn