Scott

Default Bathroom floor question

I remodeled my bathroom a couple years back. I'm happy with most of it, but
I really screwed the floor up.

I tried to lay tile. I made several mistakes here. I was told it was ok to
put it down right on top of the linoleum. It has always floated around.

The big problem though is around the toilet. The ring that holds the
plumbing for the toilet had rotted. I thought I was being smart and bought
another ring, cut it, and slipped it behind the base (to keep the base from
slipping below the floor line. I have always had trouble keeping it sealed,
since.

I'm ready to make the big commitment. I'm ready to rip out the floor, rip
out the toilet, cut and reinstall the plumbing if I have to.

Is there a way around not cutting out and reinstalling a new base for the
toilet?

When I install a new floor, should the toilet attach to the sub floor and
the flooring come up to the already mounted toilet, or should I mount the
toilet onto the new flooring (I'm thinking of tile or a floating wood)?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott