John Rumm

Default hip roof loft conversion

Chris Allmark wrote:

I am looking at converting my loft (3 bed semi) into a bedroom. I
know about all the building regs issues, & intend to do the job
properly with a full-plans building regs submission. The problem is
that the property has a hip-roof with quite a shallow pitch, so that
the maximum distance from the top of the existing bedroom ceiling
joists to the ridge plate is only about 2 metres, as it stands at the
moment the useable area of the room will be so small as to make it not
worth converting. Would it be possible to lower the existing bedroom
ceilings to create more room in the loft, and/or install dormer
windows at the back. The problem(!!!) with the dormer windows idea is
that there are three large purlins running round the loft space which
would be in the way. Would it be possible to remove the purlin at the
back and replace it with some othe form of support for the roof? Has
anybody done a loft conversion with these issues, or should I just
give up the plan all together?

I am just about to embark on a similar conversion - although I have a
little more headroom under the ridge beam.

To get any real floor space you would need to convert the hipped roof to
a gable end, and then stick a full width dormer on the back.

Having the hip away, and the rear dormer added, will get rid of two of
the purlins for you. It is normal to build a dwarf internal wall to the
front of the property (usually approx one meter high - that will likely
coincide with the front purlin - thus hiding that.

The only major issue you will need to address is the available height
(or lack of it). The new floor level will add 6 or 7 inches to the
existing floor height - meaning a ceiling height of only 6' by the
sounds of it. Sounds a bit low to me. How high are the ceilings in the
rooms below?

--
Cheers,

John.