Doug Miller

In article , Jud McCranie wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:54:44 GMT, "Michael Strickland"
wrote:

The reason for suggesting raising the pressure is that the OP is using, IIRC,
42 psi as the cut-on pressure, which means that he needs somewhere around 40
psi precharge.

Yes, the pump cuts on at 42 PSI, according to the gauge in the water
line. If I put my tire gauge on the air at the top of the tank, it
shows 46PSI. Should I lower that to 40?

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference is probably due to inaccuracies in
the gauges.

So what I need to know is if the precharge pressure should be measured
with the tank empty or with water in it (assuming that the bladder has
burst).

Empty. That's what is meant by precharge pressure.

If I pump it up to 40PSI w/o water, the air pressure is going
to be very high after water is pumped in.

No, it won't. The control switch will shut off the pump when the pressure
reaches the set point of 58 psi.