willshak

Michael Strickland wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:27:03 -0500, willshak wrote:

I believe that most are already factory charged to the correct pressure.
My Well-Trol by Amtrol was precharged to 30 PSI (according to the label).

True, they are precharged to a standard pressure, don't recall off the top of
my head what mine was precharged to. 30 psi precharge is good for a pump
cut-on pressure of around 32 psi. Precharge should actually be 27-28 psi for
a 30/50 pressure switch if 30 psi is the actual cut-on pressure.

The reason for suggesting raising the pressure is that the OP is using, IIRC,
42 psi as the cut-on pressure, which means that he needs somewhere around 40
psi precharge. Precharge pressure should be a couple-three psi below cut-on
pressure, so it depends on what your cut-on pressure is exactly what your
precharge pressure needs to be for optimal pump operation.

I'm not a plumber, so I was just commenting on the factory precharge as
listed on my tank. As a matter of fact, I do not know what the working
pressure is on my tank. It is 20 years old and has never been tested or
serviced, unless that was done by the plumber that installed it 20 years
ago.
I should have it looked at, although it is working fine, as far as I can
tell. For one thing, the pressure guage is broken (needle sitting at 0),
and has been like that for many years. My wife's nephew is a plumber and
has installed our Central A/C, services our boiler, and does our other
plumbing jobs when needed. The last time he was here, I mentioned the
pressure guage being broken and he said he would replace it, but you
know how it is with getting relatives to do jobs for you. :-)
I also just found out the tank name was Well-X-Trol, not Well-Trol (the
X is stylized into the logo).

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text only - HTML mail is automatically filtered to the trash and I might not catch it.