Terry

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:02:18 GMT, indago
wrote:
Once the tank is emptied, put all the fittings back in and sealed

properly
with some thread compound and then, as already suggested, turn the pump

back
on and let the tank refill. ...

Thanks, it is working now. When it was cycling every 2 or 3 seconds,
the pressure gauge was dropping very low very quickly and then going
back up very quickly when the pump kicked on. The needle was bouncing
around like mad. Now it cuts on when it gets down to 42 PSI and cuts
off at about 56 PSI, and it moves gradually and takes several seconds
to do it. I assume that 42/56 PSI settings are OK.

Tanks :-) to everyone who replied. You're the greatest!

Moment read the OP, thought of loss of the air cushion in the system. i.e.
System was waterlogged.
Don't know about yours but I remember some pumps (this was mainly on shallow
well systems) that had a "Snifter Valve"; the purpose of which was to sniff
in a little bit of air every time the pump ran to maintain the air reserve
which is absolutely essential.
Never had a system with a bladder inside the tank but understand if that
ruptures it can also be a problem.
Typical settings here for domestic were cut in at 20 lbs. cut out at 40lbs.
The pressure switch that runs the pump usually being adjustable. To find out
how read the instructions or figure it out from the switch which may be
labelled.