TURTLE

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
From: "TURTLE"

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
From: "deloid"

I am planning to have an isolated ceiling fan switch as an end run of a 20
amp circuit.

I ran 14-2 wire from the fan...to the new switch...to the receptacle that
was 15 amp. As I was preparing to tie this all together I noticed that the
receptacle was fed by 12-2 wire and...sure enough there is a 20 amp

breaker.

Since the fan (no lights) hardly pulls any amperage it seems like I should
be able to run the 14-2 anyway.

Thoughts?

No it's illegal.

This is Turtle.

No Happy, A home owner can do as he pleases if he does it and never sells the

house without disclosing the problem before the sale. If he discloses it on
the
sale. he has no problem.

OK so, installing non-code compliant electrical work is not a violation if
it's
done by a homeowner and it's disclosed upon the sale.

So Happy it's not illegal for a home owner to do it but only to a Electrician
it
is illegal.

You're repeating yourself. It's legal for homeowners to install electrical
wiring that does not meet the electrical code.

I suppose if this was being inspected, no violation could be issued either.

Let me ask you one here. Have you ever seen a home owner in court

because he wired his own house wrong.

Yes. Although not literally because I wasn't actually in the courtroom while
the homeowner was testfying. But I do know of a homeowner whose home burned
down due which killed his tenant, his wife, and a number of family pets.

His home, an older Cape with a 2-car garage connected by breezeway had an
apartment built over the garage and wired by the homeowner. He ran out of oil
one night and gave the tenant electric heaters until the oil company could
fill
the tank the next day.

Because of his work, the wiring from the apartment through the breezeway,
which
was undersized for the breakers, heated up and started a fire which destroyed
2
lives and prompted his insurer to NOT pay for the loss of the dwelling as
neither the additional uninspected wiring or the finished space above the
garage were ever inspected.

For over a year his story was on the web, and he displayed a large sign on the
now-vacant lot criticizing his homeowner's insurance company in an attempt to
warn others, and direct passers-by to his website. The website unfortunately
is
gone now.

Snipping Bull !

Your again confussing a illegal act WITH a insurance company and the home owner
defending off a law suite filed by the tenant's Family . It was not a Criminal
trial but a law suite to collect money for damages. The Home owner never spent a
day in jail but spent court time defending hiself.

If a electrician did it he would come under criminal charges. He is suppose to
know better.

TURTLE