John Hines

"Scall5" wrote:

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks.

Yep, that happens. It is due to the defrost cycle. You'll also notice
the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a little bit off.

I've found a quick push back and forth of the ice container, banging the
mass against the walls is enough to unglue them.

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

This process is worse over time, if you haven't used the ice in like a
month or more, I'd pitch the solid mass, and start over fresh.

You'll also notice the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a
little bit off.

If you know your not going to be using the fridge for a while, empty the
ice cube container, and lift the arm to stop the ice maker.