Scall5

Default Automatic ice maker question

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

Thanks.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

Dr. Hardcrab

"Scall5" wrote in message

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

Could be going into defrost for too long. Not sure how you fix that except
to change the defrost timer.

TURTLE

"Scall5" wrote in message

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

Thanks.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

This is Turtle.

There is two possiblitys here but i sure can't see it from here.

The ice maker is hanging up in heat mode a little too long when in heat to
loosen the ice from the bowl to release the ice. If this is the case. You should
not have the sticking problem if the ice bend is only half full.

The other is 10ºF in the freezer area is pretty high for my thinking but could
be alright if it was during defrost cycle but not all the time. Most all ice
makers have a shut down switch that will turn the ice maker off at 12ºF or
above. This 10ºF in the freezer could mean it is not keeping up enough to not
let the freezer area go up to 33ºF during a full load time or defrost timer is
shuting it down say during the nite and let it get to 33ºF in the freezer and
then when you jar it when you open the door. It [ defrost timer ] goes back into
run or starts back to running.

What I'm getting at here is +10ºF is just a little high to be the norm.

TURTLE

Edward Grant

In article TQfjd.374087$D%.370935@attbi_s51,
"Scall5" wrote:

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

Thanks.

It could be that the tray is overfilling and therefore spilling into the
bucket and freezing.
John Hines

"Scall5" wrote:

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks.

Yep, that happens. It is due to the defrost cycle. You'll also notice
the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a little bit off.

I've found a quick push back and forth of the ice container, banging the
mass against the walls is enough to unglue them.

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

This process is worse over time, if you haven't used the ice in like a
month or more, I'd pitch the solid mass, and start over fresh.

You'll also notice the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a
little bit off.

If you know your not going to be using the fridge for a while, empty the
ice cube container, and lift the arm to stop the ice maker.

Phisherman

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:34:27 GMT, "Scall5" wrote:

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

Thanks.

Perhaps water vapor in the air freezes onto the cubes and freezes them
together? Actually, having more items in your freezer will reduce the
amount of water in the air and actually increase the freezer
efficiency. I doubt the frig storage has anything to do with the
chunks.
Dave Harnish

Hi,

The most common cause of this is an incorrect fill level.
And strangely enough, both underfill and overfill can cause
it!

Here's an article excerpted from my newsletter that will
help you with this:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYicemakertips.htm

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

Acts 4:12

"Scall5" wrote in message

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except
the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms
big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think
that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the
freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?

BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have
caused any problems?

Thanks.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

Scall5

"Dave Harnish" wrote in message
Hi,

The most common cause of this is an incorrect fill level.
And strangely enough, both underfill and overfill can cause
it!

Here's an article excerpted from my newsletter that will
help you with this:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYicemakertips.htm

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Awesome sight! Thanks a million.
--
Scall5

Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM