TURTLE

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Speedy Jim wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

deloid wrote:

I am planning to have an isolated ceiling fan switch as an end run of a 20
amp circuit.

I ran 14-2 wire from the fan...to the new switch...to the receptacle that
was 15 amp. As I was preparing to tie this all together I noticed that the
receptacle was fed by 12-2 wire and...sure enough there is a 20 amp
breaker.

Since the fan (no lights) hardly pulls any amperage it seems like I should
be able to run the 14-2 anyway.

Thoughts?

It's not right, but it's not all *that* unsafe because it is a switched
light/ceiling fan -- you don't have to worry about someone coming along
later and extending the circuit with a bunch of additional outlets.

If I were doing it, I would use #12 wire. If I found out afterwards that I
had accidently used #14 wire, I would leave it. If someone ever questioned
me on it, I would claim that it was allowed by the "10 foot tap rule."
(even if it's more than 10' to the ceiling fan, it is a lot less than 10'
from the receptacle to the switch)

All that said, how hard would it be to replace it with #12 wire?

Putting on my asbestos underwear,
Bob

(No offense, Bob; just yanking the chain:-)
The 10 foot tap rule (and the 25 foot rule) don't apply here.
Art 240-21 exceptions are for feeders under very strict conditions.

Jim

I know they don't apply. But if I was ever questioned accusatively about the
14 gauge wire, that's the bluff I would use. :-)

If you look up the ampacity of #14 THHN wire, I believe it is 20 amps, with a
footnote that other sections of the code limit its use to 15A. (I think
there's just not enough margin when using #14 at 20A) OP has a fixed load of
just a couple of amps, and it won't be extended later because it is switched.

It's not done correctly and should be rewired, but if that's *really* hard to
do I don't see a problem leaving it as is. If the extension ran to a
receptacle or was nonswitched I wouldn't be as accepting of it (but even then
it wouldn't be all *that* risky unless the cable was packed in insulation and
couldn't dissipate heat.

Best regards,
Bob

This is Turtle.

The NEC code you was refering to say the #14 wire will cover 20 amps in certain
conditions such as lighting, electric heaters, and none motor items being used.
if they put a ceiling fan up there they will get could on the motor on it and
refers to the foot note to not have a 20 amp ability and a 20 amp braker on it.
It will fall back to the 15 amp ability of the wire and 15 amp on the breaker.
this seem like splitting hairs here but when you start questioning the NEC codes
usely you are later questioned by the State fire marshal about how did the fire
start.

There was a State Fire Marshal that told me one time that if every house and
building was wire and applied to the safe side NEC code to the letter. There
would not be but 1/2 the fires they would have looking at.

I have a Uncle that his house burned to the ground because a friend of his run a
#12 wire to his pump house and come out of the eves and did not put a wire
hanger to hold the wire and not let it rub the boards of the eve. NEC said it
should have a hanger on it and cost about 88 cents and the insurance company
paid out $125K. Just watch when you want to push the NEC just a little.

TURTLE