Speedy Jim

zxcvbob wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

deloid wrote:

I am planning to have an isolated ceiling fan switch as an end run
of a 20 amp circuit.

I ran 14-2 wire from the fan...to the new switch...to the
receptacle that was 15 amp. As I was preparing to tie this all
together I noticed that the receptacle was fed by 12-2 wire
and...sure enough there is a 20 amp breaker.

Since the fan (no lights) hardly pulls any amperage it seems like I
should be able to run the 14-2 anyway.

Thoughts?

It's not right, but it's not all *that* unsafe because it is a
switched light/ceiling fan -- you don't have to worry about someone
coming along later and extending the circuit with a bunch of
additional outlets.

If I were doing it, I would use #12 wire. If I found out afterwards
that I had accidently used #14 wire, I would leave it. If someone
ever questioned me on it, I would claim that it was allowed by the
"10 foot tap rule." (even if it's more than 10' to the ceiling fan,
it is a lot less than 10' from the receptacle to the switch)

All that said, how hard would it be to replace it with #12 wire?

Putting on my asbestos underwear,
Bob

(No offense, Bob; just yanking the chain:-)
The 10 foot tap rule (and the 25 foot rule) don't apply here.
Art 240-21 exceptions are for feeders under very strict conditions.

Jim

I know they don't apply. But if I was ever questioned accusatively
about the 14 gauge wire, that's the bluff I would use. :-)

If you look up the ampacity of #14 THHN wire, I believe it is 20 amps,
with a footnote that other sections of the code limit its use to 15A. (I
think there's just not enough margin when using #14 at 20A) OP has a
fixed load of just a couple of amps, and it won't be extended later
because it is switched.

It's not done correctly and should be rewired, but if that's *really*
hard to do I don't see a problem leaving it as is. If the extension ran
to a receptacle or was nonswitched I wouldn't be as accepting of it (but
even then it wouldn't be all *that* risky unless the cable was packed in
insulation and couldn't dissipate heat.

Best regards,
Bob

Since this is an academic discussion g, if he ran Romex,
the 90C conductors inside are limited to a 60C rating. (Go figger...)
But you're right; I wouldn't have any qualms about the breaker
protecting such a circuit during any kind of fault.
Jim