zxcvbob

Speedy Jim wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

deloid wrote:

I am planning to have an isolated ceiling fan switch as an end run of
a 20 amp circuit.

I ran 14-2 wire from the fan...to the new switch...to the receptacle
that was 15 amp. As I was preparing to tie this all together I
noticed that the receptacle was fed by 12-2 wire and...sure enough
there is a 20 amp breaker.

Since the fan (no lights) hardly pulls any amperage it seems like I
should be able to run the 14-2 anyway.

Thoughts?

It's not right, but it's not all *that* unsafe because it is a
switched light/ceiling fan -- you don't have to worry about someone
coming along later and extending the circuit with a bunch of
additional outlets.

If I were doing it, I would use #12 wire. If I found out afterwards
that I had accidently used #14 wire, I would leave it. If someone
ever questioned me on it, I would claim that it was allowed by the "10
foot tap rule." (even if it's more than 10' to the ceiling fan, it is
a lot less than 10' from the receptacle to the switch)

All that said, how hard would it be to replace it with #12 wire?

Putting on my asbestos underwear,
Bob

(No offense, Bob; just yanking the chain:-)
The 10 foot tap rule (and the 25 foot rule) don't apply here.
Art 240-21 exceptions are for feeders under very strict conditions.

Jim

I know they don't apply. But if I was ever questioned accusatively
about the 14 gauge wire, that's the bluff I would use. :-)

If you look up the ampacity of #14 THHN wire, I believe it is 20 amps,
with a footnote that other sections of the code limit its use to 15A.
(I think there's just not enough margin when using #14 at 20A) OP has a
fixed load of just a couple of amps, and it won't be extended later
because it is switched.

It's not done correctly and should be rewired, but if that's *really*
hard to do I don't see a problem leaving it as is. If the extension ran
to a receptacle or was nonswitched I wouldn't be as accepting of it (but
even then it wouldn't be all *that* risky unless the cable was packed in
insulation and couldn't dissipate heat.

Best regards,
Bob