Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Joseph

I think you got me this time, I really don't know, but it WAS the
thicker published booklet not a magazine I was referring to.

Now, as to whether or not it was Consumer Reports or Consumer
Research, I don't really remember, I thought it was the Consumer
Reports booklet, but I could be wrong.
It has been a lot of years since I have bought one after getting
burned so many times from going by their data.
I think the last one I ever purchased was around 1982-84.

TTUL
Gary

"Joseph Meehan" verbositized:

Are you sure that was "Consumer Reports" and not "Consumer Research:
magazine. How long ago was this report. That does not sound like Consumer
Reports.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
Hi Joseph

Most people who share this experience have chosen products based on
the
ratings without reading the entire story. The ratings are based on what
CR
considers average users. Few people are average users and you really need
to look at how they rated the product and chose based on what features are
important to you.

Consumer Reports OFTEN fails to test for user friendlyness or
suitability for the use intended or longetivity of replacement
components.

They rated one of the most expensive (to use) and shortest lived water
filters ever made as being a best buy.
A much lower cost unit performed better, lasted longer between filter
changes and removed more contaminants. The lower cost unit was even
much easier to change the cartridges when required.

A number of years ago I purchased a Shop-Vac brand vacuum to replace
an old Hercules that was giving up the ghost. At that time Hercules
was still available.
Of the 6 different specific use vacuums they tested, Shop-Vac was at
the top of the list and Hercules was 2nd to the bottom of the list for
similar size and capacity vacuums.

Shop-Vac all models are wrought with serious engineering design
problems! Not one mention in the Consumer Reports writeup on Shop-Vac
said they were top heavy and tipped over continually. Not one mention
in the Consumer Reports writeup on Shop-Vac said the wands assembled
backwards and were very likely to easily clog because of it.
Not one mention in the Consumer Reports write up on Shop-Vac said you
had to change out the filters in order to use them for wet pickup.
And not one write up said they blow water all over the place when near
full.

Hercules on the other hand had greater power, low center of gravity,
pickup hose and wands that almost could not clog and it could handle
debris over 8 inches in length, Shop-Vac is limited to less than 4
inches. Hercules wet/dry did not require different filters for dry or
wet pickup, although the dry only machine is the best buy and most
useful. A separate water drum may be used with all Hercules vacs and
on some models this separate drum is conveniently stored inside the
vac with very little loss in waste storage capacity of the unit.
Hercules even made a special recleanable filter for use in picking up
filter clogging materials such as drywall dust, soot or other fine
powders.
By placing this wonderful vac at second to the bottom in the list of
special purpose vacs, it caused Hercules to go out of business, and
they had a FAR SUPERIOR product than Shop-Vac who got the top rating
by Consumer Reports.

Spoken like a true salesman for the ionizer industry.

Sorry, I don't sell them, I only use them.
But to be honest, after using them for many years I did attempt at
selling my favorite brand for a few months.
A salesman I'm not, but I'm GREAT at complaining about the flaws I
have found in the various models I have used over the years.

Here is some food for thought!
You know those new Wisp air fresheners that just came out?
I was given three of them to test awhile back.
I placed one in my garage office, set on it's lowest setting. I had
to take it out, it was too strong.
I moved it into our bathroom and even set on it's highest setting, you
cannot smell anything at all from it.
WHY?
We have a whole house 5 function Air Purifier in our home.
It works so well it completely removes all odors, even the ones you
want to keep in the house, hi hi....
In my garage office I only have a 1 function small ionizer. Ionizers
do not remove odors. But my office is dust free!

TTUL
Gary