Byron A Jeff

One part of the discussion that's missing is the relative costs of the
various options. A shed/workshop and detached garage are both in my future
plans. Neither are too terribly complicated other than the fact that I
want both to be two stories for additional storage space. The similar
two story floor plan that I see at the HD is about $7000. Go inside and
price materials, especially materials designed to help in stick construction
such asmetal joist hangers and preprimed, pregrooved, tounge and groove
siding, and the cost adds up to to about a third of the cost.

Now I realize that there is significant labor involved. And of course a
lack of expertise for the do it yourselfer. But saving close to $5000
on the total cost is certainly worth thinking about sweat equity.

BAJ

In article ,
v wrote:
-On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:16:07 GMT, someone wrote:
-
-
- Pre-fab meaning you go to a dealer who sells sheds (like Walpole
-Woodworkers) and it comes to your house in a few large pieces and they put
-
-Different terminology customs, and/or ambiguous terminology. Here's
-my terminology on sheds in descending order.
-
-Prefab - arrives fabricated, i.e. complete
-
-Modular - arrives in pieces that enclose a volume, and get fastened
-together - not common on something as small as a shed. Think modular
-house.
-
-Panelized - arrives as large flat panels that you put together.
-
-Pre-cut - arrives as bundles of individual smaller pieces that you
-assemble into panels and then a volume.
-
-Plans - you buy a set of documents and a list of materials in standard
-sizes, you do all the custom cuts yourself.
-
-From Scratch or DIY - you draw it, make up your list of materials, buy
-'em, cut 'em, put 'em together.
-
-I used to be a designer in the panelized business for large buildings.
-I don't need to "try and" design a shed to see if I can. If you are in
-some other line of work and want a hobby challenge, go far down the
-list. Otherwise just buy one pre-fab. I have a 12 x 20 that they
-brought over on a trailer.
-
-I also had them do the site prep - that is a whole 'nother phase.
-
--v.
-
-
-Reply to NG only - this e.mail address goes to a kill file.