Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:
Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units
fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I
can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd
make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the
upvc edging stuff?)

We've thought about it.

We have an assortment of dg windows round the back ...

It might not be pretty but it will be interesting!

Mary

Yep, recovered mainly single glazed windows and french doors (all wood
not that matters) frame built from recovered 4x2's on recovered brick
base. Floor is teak decking (on more 4x2's and brick piers) recovered
from a damaged pontoon. Lining is recovered 1/2 inch chip board with 4
inch poly batts in the frame. Cladding is cheap softwood (its lasted 10
years and needs a few lengths replacing now) and recovered ali angle to
protect the corners. Roof was new twin wall on new 4x2's as I couldn't
find any recovery ones long enough. All in cost, including a bricklayer
and everything else was under 500 quid.
He went on to build a similar one using plastic profiles, but again over
a wooden frame.
Both move with the ground, rather than damaging the wall like a ridgid
steel frame can!

Niel.