adder

Default "salvage" conservatory

Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units
fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I
can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd
make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the
upvc edging stuff?)

Somebody must have thought about this before?! Conservatory
companies' prices seem to be v high.
Mary Fisher

"adder" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units
fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I
can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd
make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the
upvc edging stuff?)

Somebody must have thought about this before?! Conservatory
companies' prices seem to be v high.

We've thought about it.

We have an assortment of dg windows round the back ...

It might not be pretty but it will be interesting!

Mary

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:
Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units
fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I
can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd
make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the
upvc edging stuff?)

We've thought about it.

We have an assortment of dg windows round the back ...

It might not be pretty but it will be interesting!

Mary

Yep, recovered mainly single glazed windows and french doors (all wood
not that matters) frame built from recovered 4x2's on recovered brick
base. Floor is teak decking (on more 4x2's and brick piers) recovered
from a damaged pontoon. Lining is recovered 1/2 inch chip board with 4
inch poly batts in the frame. Cladding is cheap softwood (its lasted 10
years and needs a few lengths replacing now) and recovered ali angle to
protect the corners. Roof was new twin wall on new 4x2's as I couldn't
find any recovery ones long enough. All in cost, including a bricklayer
and everything else was under 500 quid.
He went on to build a similar one using plastic profiles, but again over
a wooden frame.
Both move with the ground, rather than damaging the wall like a ridgid
steel frame can!

Niel.
Mary Fisher

"Badger" wrote in message
news

Yep, recovered mainly single glazed windows and french doors (all wood not
that matters) frame built from recovered 4x2's on recovered brick base.
Floor is teak decking (on more 4x2's and brick piers) recovered from a
damaged pontoon. Lining is recovered 1/2 inch chip board with 4 inch poly
batts in the frame. Cladding is cheap softwood (its lasted 10 years and
needs a few lengths replacing now) and recovered ali angle to protect the
corners. Roof was new twin wall on new 4x2's as I couldn't find any
recovery ones long enough. All in cost, including a bricklayer and
everything else was under 500 quid.
He went on to build a similar one using plastic profiles, but again over a
wooden frame.
Both move with the ground, rather than damaging the wall like a ridgid
steel frame can!

That's very encouraging, thanks.

Mary

Niel.

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:

That's very encouraging, thanks.

Mary

No prob's, I could take some pic's if you want, but a GWR green wooden
conservatory isn't anything special really...

Niel.

G&M

Mary Fisher wrote:
Hi, I may (or may not) be able to get hold of some double glazed units
fairly cheap, probably old upvc windows. Is there any reason why I
can't use these to "knock-up" a conservatory? I'm not sure how I'd
make up the frame (steel posts?) or do the roof (polycarb with the
upvc edging stuff?)

Don't know where you are but many councils planning people don't allow
polycarb roofs anymore.

Owain

"Badger" wrote ...
| a GWR green wooden conservatory

Ah, the 'railway surplus paint' episode - one of my fave OF&Hs

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Badger" wrote ...
| a GWR green wooden conservatory

Ah, the 'railway surplus paint' episode - one of my fave OF&Hs

Owain

Our next door neighbour's house, shed, garage, fencing, gutters, fall pipes
.... everything ... is Yorkshire Water green. He built the shed when he
retired. It houses paint.

Mary

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

"Badger" wrote ...
| a GWR green wooden conservatory

Ah, the 'railway surplus paint' episode - one of my fave OF&Hs

Owain

Our next door neighbour's house, shed, garage, fencing, gutters, fall pipes
... everything ... is Yorkshire Water green. He built the shed when he
retired. It houses paint.

Mary

Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches it, or
l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the right light.

Niel, uk-lro lister....
Mary Fisher

"Badger" wrote in message

Our next door neighbour's house, shed, garage, fencing, gutters, fall
pipes ... everything ... is Yorkshire Water green. He built the shed when
he retired. It houses paint.

Mary

Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches it, or
l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the right light.

Am I alone in not understanding that?

Mary

Niel, uk-lro lister....

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I alone in not understanding that?

Mary

Niel, uk-lro lister....

Probably not, bad day...
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Badger" wrote
| Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches
| it, or l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the
| right light.
| Niel, uk-lro lister....
| Am I alone in not understanding that?

I'm guessing Land-Rovers. (Or Land Rovers, for those post-SeriesIIA or
whenever they dropped the hyphen.)

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Badger" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I alone in not understanding that?

Mary

Niel, uk-lro lister....

Probably not, bad day...

Oh, sorry, it was nothing personal. I don't always catch on immediately :-)

Mary

Badger

Owain wrote:
I'm guessing Land-Rovers. (Or Land Rovers, for those post-SeriesIIA or
whenever they dropped the hyphen.)

Owain

Yep, the original international l-r owners e-mail list uk spin off.
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Badger" wrote
| Mines actually painted with a fence/shed paint that about matches
| it, or l-r bronze green (well one shade of the many of it) in the
| right light.
| Niel, uk-lro lister....
| Am I alone in not understanding that?

I'm guessing Land-Rovers. (Or Land Rovers, for those post-SeriesIIA or
whenever they dropped the hyphen.)

Ah! Thanks, Owain. Might have known you'd be the Oracle! Such technology
never came into my pretty little head :-)

Mary

adder

Badger wrote in message ...

Yep, recovered mainly single glazed windows and french doors (all wood
not that matters) frame built from recovered 4x2's on recovered brick
base. Floor is teak decking (on more 4x2's and brick piers) recovered
from a damaged pontoon. Lining is recovered 1/2 inch chip board with 4
inch poly batts in the frame. Cladding is cheap softwood (its lasted 10

Mine would be three sided & I'm thinking now about how I would make
the frame rigid enough. I'm planning on the three sides being full
length glass panels more or less. Does all the rigidity come from the
roof?
Badger

adder wrote:
Mine would be three sided & I'm thinking now about how I would make
the frame rigid enough. I'm planning on the three sides being full
length glass panels more or less. Does all the rigidity come from the
roof?

No, the framing carries std. window frames which add to the rigidity,
but allows the whole thing to move as well. If ours was rigid it'd
pulled the wall down or broken by now as one corner rises and falls by
several inches during the year, due to the oak trees.....
Be wary of full length glass, there are specific safety requirements
which means a lot more expense, thats why the bottom of ours is wooden,
not glass, also hides the "stuff" stored in it!

Niel.

Conservatory Ridge Lighting bigbrian UK diy 9 September 25th 04 05:50 PM
Conservatory base Wordy UK diy 2 September 2nd 04 10:16 PM
House airbricks and conservatory base Wordy UK diy 3 July 14th 04 09:31 PM
Conservatory cost vs payment schedule bigbrian UK diy 11 June 13th 04 05:14 PM
Neighbours new conservatory nightmare... supermoocow UK diy 34 November 16th 03 11:38 PM