xena

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
xena wrote:
Was tempted to swap the g/y from earth to the neutral where the wire
from the silver box goes, but would prolly blow system up.

Since it's flex with all the conductors insulated, I'd be inclined to
simply sleeve the earth at both ends with red. TW&E is a totally different
matter as the earth is bare.

I know it's not strictly correct, but the chances are there are more such
bodges elsewhere on the heating system.

This assumes the existing stat doesn't actually need an earth for safety
purposes - few do.

Hi Dave

That's exactly what I've done, well, changed the wiring round a little, used
the earth as a neutral with black tape over the green/yellow, and the blue
as a switched live (with red tape).

I'm keeping an eye out for a programmable thermostat at a tidy price, and if
and when one comes up, I'll use that instead so that the system is kosher.

Nice to have a working thermostat at last!!

Cheers
xena