Julian Fowler

Default Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:37:33 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:05:56 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:34:38 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

[snip]

Britain is filthy. Travel around western Europe,: France: Germany, Holland,
etc.

I do. Extensively.

Britain is strewn with litter and fly tipping.

So are the other countries that you mention,

In the case of Germany and Holland, that is patently NOT the case! How
you can possibly suggest that those two countries have the same litter
problem as Britain, beats me! When I have spent a week in Germany,
then return to the UK, as soon as I emerge from the barriers at
Heathrow I notice how everything you look at looks tacky, cheap,
inferior, worn, badly maintained. Everywhere. You. Look. The buses,
the Tube, the restaurants, the streets, the dress-sense, the
grubbiness of the place is quite impressive. Take a GOOD look next
time you travel, okay?!!

There is a difference between London -- and particularly Heathrow --
and the rest of the country. London and its major airport are, IMO,
vile: a friend of mine (visiting from the US) described London as
having " a pervasive smell of rotting Big Macs" :-( London's all
round unpleasantness is matched only by the baffling belief of its
inhabitants that they live in a "world class" city.

This country does seem intent to make its major airports follow the
traditional path of its main railway stations: i.e., to immediately
confront the arriving passenger with the worst the country has to
offer. I have wondered in the past how first-time visitors to the UK
react if they have an early-morning arrival into LHR T3 and have to
transit to another terminal, given that the conditions in both the T3
waiting area and the transfer buses would be illegal if the passengers
were farm animals ...

--
Julian Fowler