Mel

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:00:31 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:13:31 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Well, this is the same country that has banned selling tablesaws that can
accomodate dado blades.

There is no European or UK ban on the use of or sale of tablesaws with
long arbors to take dado sets. Dado blades (Freud) are available from
my nearest high street toolshop (for lack of space they don't sell
any machines big enough to use them).

My comment is based upon discussions in the newsgroup, for example,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ps%3Fq%3DUK%2B
dado%2Bblade%2Barbor%2Bban%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sel m%3Ddb211059.0210240433.5753385b%2540posting.googl e.com%26rnum%3D2

I'm not aware of any laws in the UK that restrict saw arbor length.
There's certainly no ban on the sale of dado saws. I wouldn't
say they were widely available, however Machine Mart
now stocks them, including in the EU standard 30mm bore.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060620496

Dado blades don't seem to be popular in industry -
at least I've never seen a set in a liquidation auction.

There could be a problem with recent safety rules requiring
the blade to come to a halt in under 30 seconds. New
saws are electrically braked so I guess there might be a
risk of the dado blade's inertia loosening the nut or
just taking too long to spin down.

(These rules aren't enforced for hobbyists and one
man businesses)

There is a uk Health and Safety sheet on table saws he-
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf