J T

Sun, Nov 14, 2004, 12:25pm (EST-3) (Kathy) says:
snip can't bring myself to buy anything snip

Circular saw and straight edge will work for the cuts. Me, I'm
able to get the place I buy to cut it for me. They're never able to do
better than "close enough", and sometimes even screw that up. That's
why I always get them to cut it just a bit wide. Sabre saw and straight
edge could work but to me that's way too much work, circular saw is
faster, and easier.

I've found it helps to get some scrap and make "prototypes" of
joints and such. I don't know if I'd use nails, or screws, but probably
small nails - if it ain't meant to come apart, I was brought up to use
nails, instead of screws, screws were resered for something that might
have to come apart sometime. I'd probably also use glue strips in each
of the corners, maybe 3/4 X 3/4, or so. Depending on the time of day,
wind direction, solar flares, and what not, might even be inclined to
just glue it all up, no nails OR screws. Depends. And, if you're going
to paint it, I'd skip real fancy plywood.

I've got something similar to the top section of your plans on one
end of my dining room table. It's 1/2" plywood. Held together with
double-headed nails. It's been there for several years, and was never
intended to be permanent. One of these day I'll pull the nails, and
recycle the plywood. That's why I used the double-headed nails. That
and I didn't have any screws handy.

JOAT
Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.
- Publilius Syrus