John Smith

Your plan doesn't show any support for the legs. In my experience, even 10
inches of 3/4" wood will bend, making the table seem wobbly. You need to
support the top and the legs to prevent warping. Moreover, no matter how
good the fastener you use between the legs and the desktop, 3/4" is not wide
enough to prevent the joint from failing due to lateral pressure.

I suggest you attach a piece of plywood perpandicular to your legs, running
the length of the leg (so if you were looking down at the leg, it would make
an L shape or a T shape) Make this peice at least four inches wide -- you
don't have to do both legs, but do at least one.

Add another piece of plywood under the work surface (perpendicular to the
work surface), between the two legs. (so if you looked at the table from the
side, it would make a T shape). Make this peice at least six inches.

Use plywood screws and glue to hold it together (the glue really won't do to
much, but it's good practice). Because you probably don't want any marks on
your work surface, you may wish to do pocket holes to attach the legs and
the support -- USE A JIG (either build one or buy one
http://www.woodzone.com/tips/drilling_angled_holes.htm). Be VERY careful
to measure the screw length so they don't puncture through the top.

For edging, I would suggest to buy the iron-on edging, and an edge trimmer.
It's still tricky to use, so practice a bit before doing the really visible
edges on the desk. I would strongly suggest staying away from solid wood
molding until you have a more experience wood working.

Just my $0.02
John

"Kathy" wrote in message
om...
I need a desk for my computer & can't bring myself to buy anything on
the market. All the desks out there in my price range are made of
particle board.

I'm an amatuer in woodworking. I've built a picnic table & a play set
for my daughter. Never made anything for indoors. Never did anything
with plywood, but I came up with a design for a desk using plywood,
mostly. I have limited skills, few tools, & no space, so this should
be easy, right? LOL

Here's a drawing of it & a cutting layout for the plywood.

http://www.peggyelliott.com/deskplan.htm

Now my questions;

What kind of plywood? I assume I should be using 3/4", right?
I keep reading about birch plywood & baltic birch, what's the
difference & which do I need? Or something else?

I'm hoping to get my local independent lumber store to cut the pieces
out for me, is that likely? They made all the cuts for the play
center, but that wasn't plywood.

How do I attach the plywood to plywood, do I use a nail gun? I'd have
to rent one. Should I hammer nails in? What size nails? Should I use
screws instead of nails? I assume I should also use glue, what kind?
Should I attach 2x4's or 1x4's underneath & in the back to make it
stronger?

By reading here about plywood, I gather I should attach a 3/4" molding
strip to the edge of the desktop with glue. So using a router on the
edge doesn't work on plywood?

What else don't I know?

TIA
Kathy