patriarch

(Kathy) wrote in
om:

I need a desk for my computer & can't bring myself to buy anything on
the market. All the desks out there in my price range are made of
particle board.

snip

What else don't I know?

TIA
Kathy

Well, that last question I cannot answer. Part of the joy of woodworking
is learning new mistakes, and creative ways to make them. Some of us have
been learning this for years. There have been some really interesting
threads lately on that.

For starters, perhaps a visit to a library would be a good start. There is
a family of magazines, from August Home Publishing, which may be just the
thing for you. Workbench, Woodsmith and Shop Notes. These are published
with detailed plans and methods, tool recommendations and safety hints.
Some of their projects are pretty accessible for someone with early
hobbyist skills and tools.

You need to be realistic, however, when it comes to saving money on this
project. Few of the regulars here got to the point where they could 'do it
cheaper' until they got to be seriously connected scroungers. Then they
begin to find great deals, or freebies. But seldom at first.

Most of us do this for love, in spite of the money it costs.

Welcome!

Patriarch