Edwin Pawlowski

"Kathy" wrote in message
om...
I need a desk for my computer & can't bring myself to buy anything on
the market. All the desks out there in my price range are made of
particle board.

Perfectly understandable.

Here's a drawing of it & a cutting layout for the plywood.

http://www.peggyelliott.com/deskplan.htm

Overall, it looks OK, but you need some support for the legs. You need what
is called a modesty panel on the back to give it rigidity. Other bracing
will work, but you need something for sure.

Now my questions;

What kind of plywood? I assume I should be using 3/4", right?

Right

I keep reading about birch plywood & baltic birch, what's the
difference & which do I need? Or something else?

Birch will work. There is also oak, cherry, other types of plywood if you
are willing to pay the price. Baltic birch is not needed here. It has more
plys and come sin 60" x 60" sheets.

I'm hoping to get my local independent lumber store to cut the pieces
out for me, is that likely? They made all the cuts for the play
center, but that wasn't plywood.

Some will, you wil pay for the service though. The cuts may not be as smooth
and accurate as can be done with your own saw and a very good blade.

How do I attach the plywood to plywood, do I use a nail gun? I'd have
to rent one. Should I hammer nails in? What size nails? Should I use
screws instead of nails? I assume I should also use glue, what kind?

Screws and any good wood glue. Titebond, Elmers, etc. You want at least 1
1/2" long screws.

Should I attach 2x4's or 1x4's underneath & in the back to make it
stronger?

See above comment about a modesty panel. You need some support.

By reading here about plywood, I gather I should attach a 3/4" molding
strip to the edge of the desktop with glue. So using a router on the
edge doesn't work on plywood?

Routers work but they leave the ugly ply look. I'd use 1" wide wood strips,
but I h ave the equipment to cut it properly, bicuits, etc.

What else don't I know?

Probably a lot as you get into it. Stop back with the rest of the
questions.