Lobby Dosser

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Lobby Dosser responds:

Please could you tell me if this is true or not..

I can't tell you if it's true about licensing and age for bandsaw
use in the UK, but it sounds like complete BS. The bandsaw is
slightly easier to use than the tablesaw, and a good deal less
dangerous, so if the law exists, it's idiotic.

It may. I think you need special dispensation or something to use a
chainsaw now in the UK.

Quite a difference, though. A chainsaw is one of the most dangerous
portable power tools around, while a bandsaw is not particularly
dangerous (given, though, that anything with a blade with teeth and a
motor driving it can cause considerable damage).

I agree that the chainsaw has far more potential for damage than the
bandsaw, but the UK tends to go overboard when it comes to stuff like
this. IIRC, you need a license to buy a chainsaw now.

They'll get my chainsaw when they pry it from my cold dead hands - no
doubt just after I've cut off a leg. )

Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he
would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken