Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:15:05 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:00:20 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Tim Douglass wrote in
m:

I'm actually surprised that no manufacturer has made a DP where the
chuck key has to be inserted into the on/off switch in order to turn
it on. It seems like the kind of idea that OSHA would love.

My DP key is spring loaded, so that it pushes itself out of the chuck.

Of course, to get this neat safety feature, I had to give up 'old iron'
quality and soul, and buy a new tool, made in Asia.

The very first thing I did was remove that damned spring. It's
hard enough keeping the key in the chuck without adding 10lbs
of lateral force working against you. I'll bet they sell more
chucks and keys from that OSHA-approved CF.

Thank-you for that comment, I was beginning to think that I'm the only
one who despises those things. This is particularly true for the mortising
machine, where one is trying to insert the outer chisel, hold the inner bit
at the correct depth setting and trying to turn a [blasted] spring-loaded
chuck key with one's third hand.