Tom M

Don't leave your Coke setting around uncovered while you are busy
working and then take a drink later. Bees like coke too. One stung me
right on the tip of my tongue and left the little stinger in just
pumping away. Talk about hurt. OHHHHH
Tom

RonB

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into
the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade has
stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:00:20 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Tim Douglass wrote in
:

I'm actually surprised that no manufacturer has made a DP where the
chuck key has to be inserted into the on/off switch in order to turn
it on. It seems like the kind of idea that OSHA would love.

My DP key is spring loaded, so that it pushes itself out of the chuck.

Of course, to get this neat safety feature, I had to give up 'old iron'
quality and soul, and buy a new tool, made in Asia.

The very first thing I did was remove that damned spring. It's
hard enough keeping the key in the chuck without adding 10lbs
of lateral force working against you. I'll bet they sell more
chucks and keys from that OSHA-approved CF.

Keeeeriste. What moron thought THAT one up?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Chuck

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:22:19 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Chuck wrote:
Be sure to adhere EXTRA-rigidly to this rule when winding up the cord
on the hair dryer after showering...particularly if the towel around
your waist isn't snugged up tight (or is absent!).

A hair dryer? Is this a neener?

Huh?

Dave in fairfax (who doesn't need no steenkin' hair dryer)

Sorry to hear that you're follically challenged.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Mapdude

Yeah, and don't think about using it as a sexual lubricant either.......

NoOne N Particular wrote:
You also need to scrub your hands REALLY REALLY well with lots and lots of
soap after using Vicks and before taking a leak.

Wayne

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:15:05 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:00:20 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Tim Douglass wrote in
m:

I'm actually surprised that no manufacturer has made a DP where the
chuck key has to be inserted into the on/off switch in order to turn
it on. It seems like the kind of idea that OSHA would love.

My DP key is spring loaded, so that it pushes itself out of the chuck.

Of course, to get this neat safety feature, I had to give up 'old iron'
quality and soul, and buy a new tool, made in Asia.

The very first thing I did was remove that damned spring. It's
hard enough keeping the key in the chuck without adding 10lbs
of lateral force working against you. I'll bet they sell more
chucks and keys from that OSHA-approved CF.

Thank-you for that comment, I was beginning to think that I'm the only
one who despises those things. This is particularly true for the mortising
machine, where one is trying to insert the outer chisel, hold the inner bit
at the correct depth setting and trying to turn a [blasted] spring-loaded
chuck key with one's third hand.
anonymous

RonB wrote:

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into
the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade
has
stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.

That's amazing! Same thing happens when you reach over a bench grinder from
behind to turn it off. Mostly affects little fingers.

I had set a small (3") model on the ways of the lathe while sharpening a pen
trimmer because that's where the light is best (barely okay) in my 'shop'
in the dungeon.During use of the attached flex shaft it had turned 180 deg.
away from me. So I simply reached over it to turn it off.

When I saw the pink spray, I realized that I had probably not acted wisely.

No I didn't. I never said that. I would never do anything that stupid.
Someone else must have been using my computer. Darned Commies
^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Terrorists.

Bill

Writing under a new nom-de-plume because my other computer fried its
motherboard and I don't remember what name I used on it. Using the laptop
at the moment.

Mark Jerde

anonymous wrote:

That's amazing! Same thing happens when you reach over a bench
grinder from behind to turn it off. Mostly affects little fingers.

I had set a small (3") model on the ways of the lathe while
sharpening a pen trimmer because that's where the light is best
(barely okay) in my 'shop' in the dungeon.During use of the attached
flex shaft it had turned 180 deg. away from me. So I simply reached
over it to turn it off.

When I saw the pink spray, I realized that I had probably not acted
wisely.

The scars on my left hand from a kickback "accident" in 2003 are still
visible. If my left hand would have been a few inches forward the "pink
spray" would have been the indication of the termination of my dreams of
being a concert pianist or guitar player. As it is, I still have my fingers
and fantasies.... ;-)

-- Mark

Jeff Gorman

"Larry Jaques" wrote

: ............... You obviously haven't had the chuck key remain in
: the chuck when you accidentally started it and had the
: string wind around the shaft to the point you had to
: dismantle the thing to get it off. (Luckily, no, I've just
: read about it so this isn't a DAMHIKT.

Some years ago, an incident occurred in an English school wherein a
youngster was operating a wire-tethered chuck key when a 'helper' switched
on the
drill.

The result was a finger amputation.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron

Bill McNutt

Oh, I've got a phone in the shop. The ringer is disabled so that I
don't get startled when working with whirling blades. But if I ever
do manage to hurt myself past the, "well, that was stupid" point, I
want to be able to dial 911.

Bill

ark & Juanita wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:59:28 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I don't have a phone in the shop, although it might be good for an
emergency. The fewer distractions, the better time I have in the
shop.

I've got one in the shop. I don't answer it when it rings (that's what
the answering machine in the house is for)

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:41:40 -0600, "RonB" wrote:

I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset to the
garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk sander
station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on while the
machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Bill McNutt

I heard that differently.

I heard that the scots regiments took fewer casualties from mustard
gas because of the argyle socks, which, because they are 100% wood
with lanoline, were resistant to the gas.

Mind you, I'm not sure I buy that. But it makes a good story.

Here are two that you CAN look up, though.

The scots DID, in fact wear thier kilts into battle during WWI.

They fought so fiercely that thier German opponents honored them with
the epithet: The Ladies from Hell.
http://www.army.mod.uk/highlanders/history.htm (Scroll down to 20th
century wars)

Hmmm. No woodworking in this post.

Next week I'm donning costume and taking my antique hand tools up to
Kentucky to spend the entire day demonstrating medieval woodworking
techniques to middle-school and high-school students. I hope that out
of the 500 or so that see me, one might be inspired to persue the
making of sawdust.

Scottish by heritage, American by the Grace of God,

Bill

Dave in Fairfax wrote in message ...
Derek Andrews wrote:
I heard on the radio today that Scottish regiments stopped wearing kilts
into battle during the Great War. Apparently the mustard gas would rise
up under the kilt and burn the sweaty parts.

Thanks for that visual. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill McNutt" wrote in message
om...
Oh, I've got a phone in the shop. The ringer is disabled so that I
don't get startled when working with whirling blades. But if I ever
do manage to hurt myself past the, "well, that was stupid" point, I
want to be able to dial 911.

Bill

It should also be low enough to reach from the floor.

Australopithecus scobis

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:09:48 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It should also be low enough to reach from the floor.

Remember that "Onion" photo of a flaming house, captioned "Heroic pet
turtle dials most of 9-1-1"?

Australopithecus scobis

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:39:23 -0800, Bill McNutt wrote:

Scottish by heritage, American by the Grace of God,

You're very sure it wasn't the Immigration and Naturalization Service?

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:47:08 -0000, "Jeff Gorman" seethesig calmly
ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

: ............... You obviously haven't had the chuck key remain in
: the chuck when you accidentally started it and had the
: string wind around the shaft to the point you had to
: dismantle the thing to get it off. (Luckily, no, I've just
: read about it so this isn't a DAMHIKT.

Some years ago, an incident occurred in an English school wherein a
youngster was operating a wire-tethered chuck key when a 'helper' switched
on the
drill.

The result was a finger amputation.

Jeff G

That's a definite OUCH! alright.

I found a trick my new magnet can play today. I stuck
the chuck key on end and it stayed in position, with the
T attached to the magnet and the key hanging down! Those
little rare earth magnets are S T R O N G !

(What? Oh, yes. I _am_ easily amused.)

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Colonel Andy

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:22:09 -0800, "Richard L."
wrote:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??
Dave in Fairfax

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
Sure would "enhance" the experience, though *G*

Nope. Buddy of mine was on a date with a state beauty queen and
tried that with Ben-gay. She was NOT amused.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Andy Dingley

wrote:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??

Sounds like Pterry Pratchett

Dave in Fairfax

Colonel Andy wrote:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??

My daughter has it on a bumper sticker on her truck. You can get
them at most Ren Faires.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Robert Bonomi

wrote:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??

That phrase has been a 'classic' in role-playing game circles, for a *long*
time.

The 'ancestor' of the phrase *is* from J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Two Towers" (part
of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) in which 'Meriadoc" says:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger."

And _somebody_ decided dragons deserved 'equal time'. grin

Google for "dragon ketchup", to get an idea of how ubiquitous the phrase is.
(over 40,000 hits, the first 10 pages or so -- as far as I looked -- are _all_
hits on minor variations of the wording *or* derivatives/expansions of the
concept; e.g. a dragon having a ketchup mine

One source attributes it to a Dilbert comic. I wouldn't be at all surprised
that Scott Adams used it, but it is *not* original to the strip -- since it
was in common use 10 years _before_ the strip got started.

I know it was in vogue -- in the late '70s -- among the "Dungeons & Dragons"
crowd, but imported from 'somewhere else'.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was from "Bored of the Rings", the Tolkein
parody.

Lawrence Wasserman

Don't use a nail gun to work on a chicken coop without removing the
chickes first.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Joe Gorman

Mark Jerde wrote:
RonB wrote:

I am sure I am not the only one who carries a portable phone handset
to the garage shop.

I recommend not laying the handset on the belt of your belt/disk
sander station - especially if the switch was inadvertently turned on
while the machine was unplugged.

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into the
blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.

-- Mark

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.
Joe
romover off all offcuts
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:22:53 +0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was from "Bored of the Rings", the Tolkein
parody.

nope.

O.K. That leaves Anon., Ibid, and Op Cit. as possible authors. *snicker*

Dave in Fairfax

George wrote:
How did Gay Ben feel about it?

Didn't ask, can't tell

She wasn't happy though, apparently more than a gentle warming
sensation. Having wiped my eyes and scratched other parts with
that stuff on my hands, though, it couldn't have been good.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Doug Miller

In article , Joe Gorman wrote:
Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

--
Regards,

Joe Gorman

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman wrote:

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

--
Regards,

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.
Joe

anonymous

RonB wrote:

Just a thought. No particular reason.

Damn!

Just thought I'd mention that it is umwise to feed short lengths of wood
(prunings from cutting bowl blanks that had a very rough de-horning prior
to planing) into the planer if they have a deep dish in the top side. Not
even if they have absolutely gorgeous grain that it would be criminal to
waste.

They start to feed in, then halt because they are past the first feed roller
but not yet to the second.

Then they make a large BANG! sound when you push them into the blades with a
push stick. If you keep trying, it is possible for them to get small enough
to fly out backwards at speeds approaching the speed of light ... well, I
never saw it move, but my knuckle recorded the fact.

DAMHIKT

Bills 5th Law of Woodworking: Wood entering the electric planer must already
be flat.

Doug Miller

In article , Joe Gorman wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman

wrote:

Be glad it went by your head. the little cutoff I didn't move hit
my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but
that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor
got all but the glass/plastic dust out.

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription
eyeglasses?

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer. At the minimum, if I were in
your shoes, I'd be looking for the optometrist to pay for the medical
treatment and a replacement pair of glasses.

Keep in mind, also, that even safety prescription glasses don't afford as much
protection as safety goggles do, because the lenses are smaller. Like you, I
also wear prescription eyeglasses, and goggles are often a PITA (for those
who don't wear eyeglasses, if you do, goggles often make your glasses fog up,
and it's easy to knock your eyeglasses askew when taking the goggles on and
off).

About five years ago, I switched to using a face shield, and I'll never go
back to goggles. The face shield never fogs up, and I've never bumped my
eyeglasses with it, even once. It's so easy, and so quick, to put on, that I
use it *far* more than I ever used goggles, which increases the safety factor
that much more. Another bonus: there are other things on your face, besides
your eyes, that deserve protection: how'd you like to have a table saw or a
lathe throw a chunk of wood into your teeth?

The only disadvantage I've seen to the face shield so far is that you have to
remember to flip it up when you feel a sneeze coming on....

--
Regards,

Ralph

I bet The dentist would love it.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joe Gorman wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Joe Gorman

wrote:

[...]

Maxprop

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

In article , Joe Gorman

Prescription. They were supposed to be safety lenses, according
to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore.

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer. At the minimum, if I were

in
your shoes, I'd be looking for the optometrist to pay for the medical
treatment and a replacement pair of glasses.

I tuned into this thread a bit late, but perhaps I can be of some help. As
an optometrist, I can at least shed some light on the problem with the
lens--which appears to have broken due to impact, if I'm extrapolating
correctly--or at least with why it didn't protect the eye. Please feel free
to inquire.

As to seeking legal help, that should be a last resort effort. As soon as
you retain an attorney, any cooperation between the doctor and the patient
evaporates, by instruction from the doctor's lawyer. Most problems can be
worked out without dragging the issue into a legal environment.

Keep in mind, also, that even safety prescription glasses don't afford as

much
protection as safety goggles do, because the lenses are smaller. Like you,

also wear prescription eyeglasses, and goggles are often a PITA (for those
who don't wear eyeglasses, if you do, goggles often make your glasses fog

up,
and it's easy to knock your eyeglasses askew when taking the goggles on

and
off).

Contrary to popular belief, safety glasses really provide very little
protection against impacts of significant velocity and/or mass. At best
they will keep flying particles and tiny objects out of the wearer's eyes,
but are limited in effect with respect to heavy objects flying at
significant velocities. Crown glass safety lenses are really no better than
CR-39 hard resin (plastic) lenses made for non-safety glasses, and most
likely worse. The best lenses are polycarbonate, but their ability to
resist significant impact is limited by the ability of the frame to hold the
lens in place without releasing the lens or collapsing under the impact.
Polycarbonate generally won't break or shatter. And you are correct w/r/t
goggles--they offer superior eye protection. So do polycarbonate face
shields.

About five years ago, I switched to using a face shield, and I'll never go
back to goggles. The face shield never fogs up, and I've never bumped my
eyeglasses with it, even once. It's so easy, and so quick, to put on, that

use it *far* more than I ever used goggles, which increases the safety

factor
that much more. Another bonus: there are other things on your face,

besides
your eyes, that deserve protection: how'd you like to have a table saw or

lathe throw a chunk of wood into your teeth?

Fine advice.

Max

Greg Millen

That was a good read Maxprop, thanks.

--

Greg

"Maxprop" wrote in message ...

some good stuff snipped

Joe Gorman

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there. Then one jiggled just far
enough for the rear tooth of the blade to toss it at me. I tend
to have a little retroactive amnesia whenever something like this
happens so the next thing I remember was holding one hand over the
damaged eye and looking for the glasses with the other eye. Found
the glasses, picked up the lens pieces and went for a ride.
Joe
Mark Jerde

Joe Gorman wrote:

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there.

As I read in a library table saw book, use compressed air to blow those
babies off the back of the saw. It's fast & easy.

This is the primary reason I find myself looking at the HF compressors each
Sunday on my way home after church. ;-)

-- Mark

Maxprop

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message

Well, it was a few years ago so the lawyer is out. I had been
clearing the chunks at the beginning. I was trimming a bunch of
poplar 2x2's and got tired of moving the scraps off the table.
After all they were just sitting there. Then one jiggled just far
enough for the rear tooth of the blade to toss it at me. I tend
to have a little retroactive amnesia whenever something like this
happens so the next thing I remember was holding one hand over the
damaged eye and looking for the glasses with the other eye. Found
the glasses, picked up the lens pieces and went for a ride.

What material were the lenses, Joe?

As I mentioned earlier, polycarbonate is the only true safety lens. For
future reference, insist on polycarb for any pair of glasses you wish to use
with activities that have the potential for flying objects. And no rimless
or semi-rimless frames, either. A good, solid plastic or metal eyewire
surrounding the lens is an absolute necessity for holding the lens in place.

Max

Tim and Stephanie

"My Old Tools" wrote in message
Ever spliced an extension cord to make it longer. Here's how:

1) carefully uplug the drill from the end
2) get pocket knife
3) admire new hole in pocket knife blade
4) unplug remainder of cord
5) reset breaker

I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless,
Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's pliers
would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would
probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

Dave in Fairfax

Tim and Stephanie wrote:
I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless,
Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's pliers
would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would
probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

Sorry to hear that you tossed them. Especially after you went to
the trouble of making a custom wire stripper accessory in them.

Dave in Fairfax