Andy Hall

Default Water Softener for combi in very hard water area

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:49:50 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:01:07 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Go to those links I gave. Men in the trade.

If these are men in the trade, then I can see why DIY is attractive.

They generally were quite knowledgeable. They did say salt softeners are
"pants".

Where the consensual opinion
was: soften water go salt, descale go Scalewatcher electronic.

I'm not sure that they would even know what consensual sex is.

Andy, are you going through a mid life crisis?

One said the salt ones were a waste of time. I agree.

I think you misread it. The only reference I could find that talked
about waste referred to waste of money and in connection with
electronic devices. Can you point to the specific article, the
author and date?

Some posts I picked up...

thescruff -- 10-30-2002 @ 10:56 PM
The school of Water Sciences ( Cranfield University )have recently produced
a do***ent to the effects of antiscale magnectic treatment.

Scientific research proves my theory, I Quote. Antiscale magnetic Treatment
and other physical methods of scale suppression remain controversial and are
still labled as gadgetry in some scientific circles.

Should anyone require the full 5 page report I could email this instead of
wasting the forums space.

The British Water Co also confirm this report.
A.. A water softener softens the water.
B.. A magnetic device prevent scale.

thescruff

chriswatts -- 10-31-2002 @ 11:02 PM
Just as well it's Halloween. Some people believe in Voodoo.

The magnetic / electronic / electrolytic water "conditioners" have
less effect on hardness than my pee would after a few pints of IPA.

If they are so effective how come everyone hasn't got a magnet on
their gas pipe (20% savings claimed) or on their car fuel pipe
(similar claims in the paper).

The only way to truly soften water, i.e. remove the calcium is by ion
exchange. This means an old fashioned water softener. The running
costs are a lot less than the savings made in soap / washing powder/
shampoo & cleaning time.
It does't matter if the calcium is suspended if you evapoirate the
water off as it will remain behind.

I have fitted hundreds of softeners over the years and the newer
metered models are indeed better than the earlier ones, but they still
use the same principal.

As regards to the drinking water issue, whilst I would not advocate
drinking gallons of softened water due to the increased sodium levels,
it should be noted that it is still a lot less that the sodium content
of cows' milk.

Chris Watts AIP RP

C.Watts Plumbing & Htg
Pinner
HA5 2BU

Dan -- 10-28-2002 @ 9:20 PM
Personally I have only been using it [Scalewatcher] for a few months - but
my bathroom engineer (who is friends with the UK distribution manager) has
used them for quite a while.

"Familial" connections to the UK distribution manager........

Further on he goes on to say:

"The Scale watcher DOES NOT - as scruff says soften water. It creates
the same effect as softened water without adding anything to the
supply. It mearly (for want of a better term) alters the water passing
through it. "

Which is, of course, complete nonsense.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl