Lenny Fackler

"ameijers" wrote in message ...
"S R" no email @ no spam.com wrote in message
news:L7Lld.3791$2V4.2796@trndny06...
I believe pre-fab means already put together (designed, built and ready to
drop off). Built your own means to either design and build from raw
materials (2x4s, plywood etc.), or use a plan then build from raw

materials.

Stephen R.

Uh, not exactly. Depending on the part of country and store, it can mean
different things. 'Assembled' means they bring it on a flatbed, and drag it
into position. 'Pre-fab' usually means the walls, trusses, etc, are
prebuilt, but there is some on-site assembly needed. 'Kit' can mean the same
thing, or it can mean a bunch of precut pieces of wood banded together, plus
a box of nails and fastener plates and such. 'Build your own' would be a
package price on the raw materials, and a set of plans. Since even the
chains often use different suppliers in different parts of the country, this
is the type of question that can best be answered with trips to your local
Borg or real lumberyard.

aem sends...

Mine was a 'build your own' as you describe above (package deal on
materials and plans), with the only difference being that the trusses
were pre-built. Pretty much everything else had to be cut, but it was
nice to have all of the necessary lumber, hardware, shingles, etc.
delivered on one pallet.
For the OP, I would say to go for it, if you have the time and
interest. I had pretty much zero carpentery experience and managed to
do it by myself.