David

Hmmm...Mine releases the tension for the blades that I typically use.
It IS true if you use a max width blade ALL the pressure won't be
released. That's a bit nitpicky in MHO, as I don't often use wide
blades and even when I do, it's a small price to pay for having all the
other goodies, qualities, and smoothness of the Powermatic. Fit and
finish?? I say the PM wins hands down on that score. Besides, it's
gray! My Unisaw is all the gray I need in the shop. Oh, yeah, then
there's the my Delta sander, and drill press. See what I mean, I've got
plenty of gray equipment already.

I got to actually run the Powermatic moments before I whipped out my
credit card to order one at a nearby WW show. I was surprised when I
saw the PM at the show, as I didn't know they had released it, and I
didn't know it was gonna have all the cool features like a light,
blower, Carter guides, wheel brush, etc. So I told the salesman if he'd
plug it in and let me hear it run I'd buy it on the spot. He did, and I
did. It's a dream machine compared to the Delta.

David

Never Enough Money wrote:
Ok. I'm still a sketic but I'm becoming less os. Over the past few
days I read two reviews (e.g. the FWW Tools 2004 issue) and it seems
that the decision between the

Delta 28-475X X5 14" Closed Stand Bandsaw

and the

Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS Deluxe Bandsaw

is a religious decision. Both are approximaetely the same price (if
the Delta rebate and "free" tool is included because that gives you
enough money to buy the Delta fence).

The blade guides are different. Cool blocks for the Delta & stacked
ball bearings for the Powermatic.

Powermatic has a bigger table by 4 inches in one dimension and smaller
by 1 inch in the other. I read that tilting the table left is easier
on the Delta.

The fit and finish on the two look about the same to me althoug I like
yellow better than grey.

Chaning blades on the Delta is easier (I read).

Both can be 120 or 220 volts.

The Powermatic includes a fence but with the $100 rebate you can get
one for the Delta, too. I wonder how these fences compare with third
party fences like the one from Woodhaven?

PM does not have a "quick full tension release".

American Woodworker (October 2004) says the frame to base stiffness of
the Powermatic is "above average" for the PM and "Average" for the
Delta.

The resaw capacity on the PM is one eight of an inch smaller than the
dDelta: 11 7/8'th versus 12.

According to American Woodworker (Oct 2004) all other specs are the
same (e.g. horsepower).

Some people are concerned where the saws are made. Powermatic is made
in Taiwan (I think). I don't know where the Delta is made -- in the
past it was the US but they might have moved manufacturing overseas -
I don't know.

I'm likely to buy one of these two at the Woodworkers show in Denver
in a couple of weeks. It might boil down to the best promotion. Last
year I don't recall seeing Powermatics in the show -- hope they're
represented this year!

Additional comments welcomed. I know some postings on this thread
dislike Delta. For the two models I'm comparing, I think either is
fine.

(Never Enough Money) wrote in message . com...

Yes, I am a skeptic. Not because I disbelieve you. I beleive you had
the experience you say you had. Rather, it's because at least four of
my woodworking buddies love their Delta 1.5 HP machines. They sing
it's praises. Have they compared with the Powermatic? I don't know.

David wrote in message ...

[snip]

I can see you are a skeptic. That's because you haven't used both saws.

[snip]