JRJohnson

Pardon the top-posting.
James, I use 1/4" diameter sheet metal screws. If the holes in the
faceplate are too small, drill them out. While you are at it, countersink
the face side of the faceplate so that the wood that is lifted by the screw
has a space to go into. That way the faceplate always sits flat on the
blank.

Normally, I use 1 1/2" long screws, which on my faceplates lets about 1" of
the screw project into the wood. Unless the wood is particularly hard, I do
not drill pilot holes. 90% of the pieces I turn are wet, so there is not
need to pre-drill. I simply screw them in with a cordless drill. For
smaller pieces, occasionally I use 5/16" nuts as 'washers'. I always use
as many screws as I can, usually about 8 or more. It has been many years
since I had a piece come loose.

I have turned hollow vessels up to 12" in diameter x 20" deep, using a 3
1/2" diameter faceplate. In order to do this, I always use the live center
as a support, then use a steady rest to hollow the piece. As long as you
don't allow the piece to 'lever' against the faceplate, this is perfectly
safe.

Incidentally, all my faceplates are homemade, of 1/2" thick steel. No
wimply aluminum stuff allowed in my shop.

Regards,
James R. Johnson
Kerrville, TX

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.11.04.04.49.58.566716@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:24:45 -0400, James D. Farrow wrote:

How can I tell what size (#6, or #8, or #10) screws will fit the

faceplate
that comes with the Jet 1014 Mini Lathe?

Can't find the info anywhere.

Also, the same question, if I order additional generic faceplates from a
place online, how can I tell what size screws it will take?

Thanks,

James

After having had a blank come bouncing off the faceplate following a
catch, I now use 1" (25mm) by 1/4" (7mm) lag screws with a pre-drilled
pilot hole.

Two days ago I got another (increasingly rare ... thank goodness!) catch
in a maple bowl while truing the outside. It broke my 1/2" gouge and
pulled the tool out of my hands ... just snapped about 2" off the end. But
the blank stayed on the faceplate.

After finding the center of the blank, it takes me about 2 minutes to
fasten the blank to the faceplate using only a hand ratchet wrench and an
electric hand drill. IMHO, it's time well spent.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)