M.J. Orr

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.11.06.06.06.51.793928@notarealserver .com...
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:59:47 +0000, Kip055 wrote:

IF someone is breaking 2" off a bowl gouge....??? 2 suggestions: 1. Get
some PERSONAL instruction immediately! 2. Failing that (No. 1 ) ....take
up basket weaving..........You'll live longer.....

Maybe but not necessarily. I had a couple of inches break off the end of
a 3/8 bowl gouge once. Had a metallurgist that I knew take a look at it
and he felt that there was a flaw in the manufacture and that I could
grind it back to shape and use safely. He's been right for a couple of
years anyway

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Thank you, Kip.
The tool rest was within 1/2" of the work. I was still turning the bowl
blank down to round or it probably wouldn't have been that far away. The
break was actually IN my left hand ... and pretty far into it, too. It
drew blood from my little finger at the point where it snapped and -all-
of my fingers are -always- behind the tool rest when I am cutting stock.
Moreover, I didn't say that it was a bowl gouge. It wasn't. It was a
spindle gouge being applied to the outside diameter. (It has since been
reshaped into a bowl gouge.)

I spent the better part of ten years of my life working as a
prototype machinist and then as a diemaker. I know better than to leave
excessive tool hanging out ... and I DO better.

Kip, I'm using this posting to reply to you (directly) and the fellow you
were responding to (indirectly).

Well you have certainly convinced me that you don't need any
instruction........Sorry I offered you some sound advice...........Uhhhh
Good luck???

--

M.J. Orr
http://www.island.net/~morr