John Yale

(Mike Paulson) wrote in
:

Changing spindle adapters and jaws on scroll chucks is a pain

Extra jaw slides are available for some chucks. I have several sets
permanently attached to alternate jaws for my Nova chucks. With the
stop screw removed (I leave it out; it's totally unnecessary) I can
change jaws in 30 seconds (tommy bar type chuck; I don't know how long
it would take with a keyed chuck). Jaw slides aren't cheap, but they
are a lot cheaper than buying an extra chuck for each jaw set, and I
can swap jaws nearly as fast as I can remove a chuck from the lathe
and put on another.

I don't know why more people don't do this. I have the Axminster super-
precision chuck, and have jaw slides permanently attached to all my jaw
sets. Winding one set out and the new one in is certainly less than 60
secs. It is more expense, but cheaper than another chuck body. Axminster
chucks do not have stop screws by the way.

John