Tony Manella

Wouldn't it be preferable to loose an occasional blank than 2" off of a
gouge? I can't imagine putting myself in a position to do that. I always
keep the tool rest as close to the wood as possible.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.11.04.04.49.58.566716@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:24:45 -0400, James D. Farrow wrote:

How can I tell what size (#6, or #8, or #10) screws will fit the

faceplate
that comes with the Jet 1014 Mini Lathe?

Can't find the info anywhere.

Also, the same question, if I order additional generic faceplates from a
place online, how can I tell what size screws it will take?

Thanks,

James

After having had a blank come bouncing off the faceplate following a
catch, I now use 1" (25mm) by 1/4" (7mm) lag screws with a pre-drilled
pilot hole.

Two days ago I got another (increasingly rare ... thank goodness!) catch
in a maple bowl while truing the outside. It broke my 1/2" gouge and
pulled the tool out of my hands ... just snapped about 2" off the end. But
the blank stayed on the faceplate.

After finding the center of the blank, it takes me about 2 minutes to
fasten the blank to the faceplate using only a hand ratchet wrench and an
electric hand drill. IMHO, it's time well spent.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)