George

Not sure from the anonymous address what kind of fir it might be. Douglas,
for instance, isn't.

Bill is probably talking one of the left, Steve, one of the right coast
varieties. I've done Abies balsamea, and it turns sticky, wet, and
fragrant. You really want to make sure that the throw zone is well covered
against sap, and you'll want some mineral spirits to dip your tools in
periodically to keep them clean. Sharpen well, and watch your angles. Like
most conifers, it'll crush easily, especially when wet.

I also remember my first brush with spruce, where the tree had been down for
a month, and all the water had migrated downward. I had the bad judgment to
turn a piece that was half wet, and was never in any sort of balance until
the interior was out.

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message

I came into a couple of tree sections (fir, I believe) which are

somewhat
large, about 24" diameter, and 30" long. However, they're EXTREMELY

sappy.
Any tips on what to do with them to prepare them for turning (or if

they're
even worth it) would be appreciated.

steve