William Brown

Are you going to build stairs or a ramp to get up into the kitchen?

Seriously, you should get rid of all the old flooring and make sure you
have a very solid subflooring.

As to oak, I recall that when they built homes with wood flooring, they
used oak everywhere but in the bathrooms and kitchens. Bathrooms were
almost always tiled; kitchens were often wood, but it was some type
other than oak, and I can't remember what it was. I suspect oak
flooring did not stand up well to the type of spills that are common in
kitchens. Perhaps some of the newer finishes have overcome this
weakness. Personally, when I win the lottery and redo our kitchen, I am
going to try and talk my wife into cork flooring. We put it in our
bathroom and it has held up quite well.

Tim Bacon wrote:

I would like to put hardwood flooring down in my kitchen. Wife wants sold
oak planks to match the other rooms. Seems straight forward enough but I am
not sure if I need to do something to the exisintg floor first before I put
the hardwood floor down. The floor is plywood with glued on vinyl tiles. I
put 1/4 plywood on top of the tiles and put new vinyl tiles down. Can I
just go overtop of the whole mess? Or do I need to pull it all up (This
would be very hard considering I screwed down the 1/4 inch plywood!)?
Thanks for any recommendations.

there.