gene

I could sort of understand the "go **** yourself" tone of this reply if it
were posed to alt.hvac, wherein the denizens claim, that despite usenet
being an open forum for all, that homeoaners, as they style it, should stay
out, but this is alt.home.repair, and you, PrecsisionmachinisT, should keep
your condesending bull**** tone to the group afore mentioned. Seems to me
he has consulted professionals in the field (several contractors), and that
maybe you should go back to sucking up to pjm or whoever the hell it is that
runs your world. If you need any clarification about where where I stand as
regards to HVAC professionals, I have them out about once a year to check
our system, and defer to their judgement even if I have to tell them what
the problem is likely to be. It aint rocket science, but many HVAC techs
couldn't spell either one.
"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
The previous homeowner did a DIY job of installing a new furnace using
a twisted maze of flex duct to make all the supply and return runs in
the basement.

Several heating contractors have advised us that flex is not intended
for long runs and that this is the most flex they have ever
seen. Also, there are no dampers and in some areas the flex is pinched
and the insulation tearing.

Couple of questions:
- Is replacing flex with rigid sheet metal duct work generally
worthwile?

Sometimes, yes........

- Is it better to use custom sheet metal fabricated to fit tightly
between the joists or should we go with standard "round" ducts?
More generally are there different qualities of sheet metal that
we should be concerned about?

If there are no leaks, and its not noisy, why be concerned ???

- One contractor talked about "vinyl clad duct insulation". Is that
a good insulation solution?

To find a solution, first one must define some *existing* problem.........

- What types of dampers should we be installing for best results?

You should get them from home depot, or lowe's.........and dont be shy, be
sure to ask em about contractor pricing..........

- Any other questions we should be asking regarding duct work?

Nope, forget your local hvac contracter, his son just wants to **** your
daughter in the ass is all.

--

SVL