Phil

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:15:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil wrote:
After many false trails I have narrowed down the cause of wet carpets in
our cars to rain leakage past the plastic membrane between the door trim
panel and the door metalwork. I have to confess that for years I thought
the membrane was for keeping out draughts, but I know see it forms a
critical part of a cunning water drainage system. There is actually a
shallow vertical channel pressed along the bottom of the door inner skin
with a drain slot through the skin (see below in fixed font).

I'm intrigued. How is the membrane sealed? All the doors I've seen have
fixings for the outer trim that couldn't be sealed. And holes for things
like wires and door handles. I've always just considered it to be for the
odd splash.

Didn't my ascii art show up? Like you I didn't realise the importance of
it for water sealing, but as I say, all 3 cars have enough rain getting
in to soak the carpet, and this is with them just parked outside when it
rains heavy. If you look carefully at the inner skin pressing you should
see a shallow 1/2" wide channel running across the bottom. The membrane
is glued immediately below that so any water running down is caught and
runs along the channel to its lowest point where a hole is punched
through the skin. this routes the water to the door insides where it
finds its way out through drain holes at the bottom. This is how it is
in the Cav and Rover. The Pug 206 is a bit different and more robust
(potentially, although mine failed!), see my previous post.

When the car is parked on the camber it is invariably the uphill side
that leaks. Water must be dripping past the outer window seal, running
down the glass inside the door and dripping off that onto the inner
skin. From there it presumably finds its way through the numerous
piercings you mention.

The plastic press-stud things that fix the outer trim are, I guess,
supposed to be a tight fit and hopefully won't let a significant stream
through. It's a point to watch for sure.

--
Phil
Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply