N. Thornton

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

The local little shop would do far better if it had some quality
and/or differentiated product lines. People would go there for
that. As it is, it is clear that the business is in a slow decline
and the owner seems unwilling to make changes.

When it inevitably closes, which I am sure will happen in the next few
years because there is hardly ever anybody in there, it won't be
missed.

Reminds me of an unusual business I once visited. From the outside it
looked as if the building was at risk of collapse. Half of it was
boarded up. Inside it was like walking 40 years into the past, they
stocked paraffin cookers, distemper, whiting, paraffin, and the sort
of household appliances I doubt anyone has bought in a very long time.
Tin baths were one example. Anyway, the distemper was 70p for 2.5l,
and most of the colours were sold out. It was nearly half a century
old. Not the best policy on stock rotation then.

The sales person was dressed in tattered and torn clothes, smelt of
paraffin, and seemed more interested in a long chat than anything.

It seems a lot of businesses have real difficulty in seeing things
from the customer's perspective, screwfix is no different to the rest
in this respect. They mucked me about badly when I needed it least,
and I'm not pleased. Will I buy again? Theyre all the same, they all
employ incompetent tw--- that couldnt care less and just make stuff up
as they go along.

It was easy to see disaster ahead in Screwfix's move, but they seem to
have believed a very optimistic view, and are now paying for it,
probably by the multiple million. They have certainly done their
business real damage. Thing is, its all so easy to avoid.

NT